March is National Save Your Vision Month, making it the perfect time to focus on the importance of eye health and take steps to protect your vision.
Here are seven simple tips to help you keep your eyes healthy and functioning well.
- Get Regular Eye Exams: Eye exams are critical to preventive care. At your eye exam, your doctor can diagnose and treat common ailments before they become significant. An annual eye exam can ensure you have the best vision possible and catch any serious diseases in time for effective treatment. If it’s been over a year since your last exam, make an appointment with your eye doctor today.
- Wear Sunglasses: When spending time outdoors, you should take extra precautions to protect your eyes from the sun’s harmful UV rays. Wearing sunglasses with an effective UVA and UVB blocking rate between 99-100% can help to prevent conditions such as cataracts and macular degeneration. These steps will ensure that your vision is safe in the long run.
- Eat a Healthy Diet: A healthy and balanced diet can help promote good eye health. Eating plenty of fruits and veggies is a simple yet effective way to care for your vision. Fruits and vegetables, in particular, are important sources of vitamins C, E, and beta-carotene; these essential nutrients can support ocular wellness.
- Reduce Screen Time: Digital eye strain, also called Computer Vision Syndrome (CVS), is an increasingly common condition caused by extensive use of digital devices. You can reduce eye strain by taking frequent breaks and looking away from the screen every 20-30 minutes to reduce eye strain.
- Exercise Regularly: Regular physical activity can lead to many benefits, including improved circulation, lower stress levels, and better eye health. To maximize these rewards, adults should strive to exercise at least 30 minutes daily. Planning exercise routines, such as cycling or running, that work the cardiovascular system is beneficial.
- Quit Smoking: Smoking increases the risk of eye diseases such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Taking steps to quit smoking can help lessen the risks associated with these eye issues and improve overall health.
- Get Enough Sleep: Maintaining good eye health requires regular and sufficient sleep. Consistently getting between 7-9 hours of sleep per night will minimize strain on your eyes. A good night’s rest can help reduce stress levels and ensure you are well-rested for the following day.
Are you interested in maintaining good eye health? Keamy Eye & Laser Centre is here to help! To reach our Salem location, call 978.239.4746, and to reach our Westborough, MA, location, call 508.836.8733.