What is Botox®?
BOTOX® also known as Botulinum Toxin is a prescription drug that, when injected, temporarily paralyzes muscles. It contains a purified and safe form of botulinum toxin A, which is produced by the microbe that causes botulism. There are several manufacturers of BOTOX® including Botox Cosmetic, Dysport, and Xeomin.
It is used to treat permanent furrows and deep wrinkles in the skin that are formed by the continual contraction of facial muscles. In addition to its cosmetic applications, it is used to treat a number of medical problems, including excessive sweating, overactive bladder, neck spasms, crossed eyes, chronic back and jaw pain, and migraines.
To learn more about Botox, click this link:
Muscle Relaxing Injections: Overview
Common Benefits of BOTOX®
Aside from the obvious medical advantages, there are many other benefits associated with this treatment.
- Cost – The cost of Botox injections may vary from person to person depending on what issues you wish to correct. It has been found that Botox most often costs less than half the price of most other methods.
- Surgery Time – A Botox injection usually takes only 10-15 minutes for most people and requires little or no anesthesia. Other relatable procedures such as facelifts, usually require at least two or three hours procedure time while under anesthesia.
- Recovery Time – Botox treatments have no recovery time, while surgical facelifts require anywhere from 1 to 2 weeks of recovery.
- Temporary – The effects of Botox will begin to wear off after a few months. This allows patients whom would rather not continue with the treatments to stop all together. Other methods of wrinkle reduction are often times more expensive, time-consuming surgeries if it is even possible to reverse.
- After-Effects – Even after the effects of Botox wears off, most people see a considerable reduction in the visibility of wrinkles thereafter.
What Does BOTOX® Treat?
Although originally approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of eye and muscle spasms, BOTOX® was quickly recognized for its cosmetic value. Properly placed injections of BOTOX block nerve impulses sent to muscles, weakening them to the point where they cannot contract, and temporarily eliminating moderately severe furrows and lines. BOTOX® is used to treat the following:
- Forehead furrows
- Frown lines
- Crow's feet
- Skin bands on the neck
Botox Before and After Photo
Botox Procedure: What to Expect
Using a very fine needle, BOTOX® is injected directly into facial muscles that are causing furrows and lines. Receiving the injections requires no anesthetic, but some doctors choose to numb the area to be injected with ice packs or a topical anesthetic cream.
How Long Will it Take to See Botox Results?
BOTOX® Results can usually be seen within a few days of treatment, and typically last up to four months, although areas that are treated on a regular basis may retain results longer. Injections should be given only by qualified medical professionals.
Candidates FOR BOTOX®
A good candidate for BOTOX® treatment may be anyone looking to enhance their appearance by getting rid of unwanted lines or wrinkles. It is also important that patients seeking treatment with BOTOX® are in good physical health, are not pregnant or nursing, and do not have a neuromuscular disorder.
Men and women considering BOTOX® treatment should have realistic expectations of what the procedure can do. You should discuss the desired results with your doctor to ensure that your goals can be achieved.
Schedule a Consultation
If you are interested in botox treatments, come into the office and Dr. Keamy will assess if botox is the best option for you. Call us today at (508) 836-8733 to schedule a consultation.