It is the most popular non-surgical cosmetic treatment around and for good reason. Botox can help you smooth out the appearance of lines and wrinkles and rejuvenate your appearance with no downtime. But how much do you know about this amazing injectable? Here are nine things you should know about Botox.
- Botox Cosmetic, Dysport, Jeuveau, and Xeomin are the different brands of botulinum toxin.
- Botox is safe. Botox contains a purified and safe form of botulinum toxin type A, which is produced by the microbe that causes botulism. When injected, this prescription drug temporarily paralyzes contracting muscles that cause wrinkles to form in the skin over them.
- Botox is FDA-approved to treat moderate to severe frown lines, forehead lines and crow’s feet around the eyes, also known as dynamic wrinkles. Dynamic wrinkles are the furrows and deep wrinkles in the skin that are caused by the continual contraction of muscles in the face.
- Botox is also used to treat medical conditions such as migraines, back and jaw pain, excessive sweating, overactive bladder, neck spasms and even crossed eyes.
- Botox injections usually only take no more than 10-15 minutes with little or no anesthesia required.
- Patients return to their regular activities after treatment, which is why it’s often called a “lunchtime treatment.”
- Results aren’t immediate. It will take 7-14 days to see the results as compared to dermal fillers, which deliver immediate results.
- The effects of Botox are temporary and will wear off after 3-4 months. While most people still see a big reduction in the visibility of wrinkles even after the effects wear off, you will want to return for additional treatments to extend results.
- Good candidates are men and women in good health and wanting to enhance their appearance. It’s important to have realistic expectations about results, so it’s important to talk about what to expect during your consultation.